Reference Detail


Missing content? – Request curation!

Request curation for specific Genes, variants, or PubMed publications.

Have questions, comments or suggestions? - Let us know!

Email us at :

Ref Type Journal Article
PMID (25363205)
Authors Falchook GS, Wheler JJ, Naing A, Piha-Paul SA, Fu S, Tsimberidou AM, Hong DS, Janku F, Zinner R, Jiang Y, Huang M, Lin Q, Parkhurst K, Kurzrock R
Title Dual antiangiogenic inhibition: a phase I dose escalation and expansion trial targeting VEGF-A and VEGFR in patients with advanced solid tumors.
Journal Investigational new drugs
Vol 33
Issue 1
Date 2015 Feb
Abstract Text Angiogenesis plays a pivotal role in tumor growth and metastasis. Sorafenib, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor (VEGFR), combined with bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody to vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF-A), would vertically inhibit VEGF/VEGFR signaling. A phase I trial was performed to assess safety, maximum tolerated dose (MTD), and clinical correlates.Patients with advanced solid tumors refractory to standard therapy were eligible. In cohorts of escalating doses, patients received sorafenib daily for 28 days and bevacizumab every two weeks. Clinical correlates included VEGF polymorphisms. Expansion cohorts of responding tumor types were enrolled.One hundred fifteen patients were treated, and the MTD was identified as 200 mg twice daily sorafenib and 5 mg/kg bevacizumab every two weeks. Median number of prior therapies was four. Twenty-nine patients (25 %) achieved stable disease ≥6 months; six patients (5 %) achieved a partial response (total SD ≥ 6 months/PR=35 (30 %)). 76 patients (66 %) experienced adverse events of grade 2 or higher, most commonly hand and foot syndrome (n = 27, 24 %) and hypertension (n = 24, 21 %). Dose-limiting toxicity occurred in eight patients (7 %), and 45 patients (39 %) required dose reduction for toxicity. Grade 3 and 4 hypertension was associated with longer time to treatment failure, overall survival, and higher response rate.Combination sorafenib and bevacizumab was well-tolerated and demonstrated antitumor activity in heavily pretreated patients with advanced solid tumors.


  • Case insensitive filtering will display rows where any text in any cell matches the filter term
  • Simple literal full or partial string matches
  • Separate multiple filter terms with a spaces, order doesn't matter (a b c and c b a are equivalent )
  • Filtering will only apply to rows that are already loaded on the page, filtering has no impact on query parameters
  • Use quotes to match a longer phrase which contains spaces "mtor c1483f"


  • Generally, the default sort order for tables is set to be first column ascending, however, specific tables may set a different default sort order.
  • Click on any column header arrows to sort by that column
  • Hold down the Shift key and click multiple columns to sort by more than one column, be sure to set ascending or descending order for a given column, before moving on to the next column.

Molecular Profile Treatment Approach
Gene Name Source Synonyms Protein Domains Gene Description Gene Role
Therapy Name Drugs Efficacy Evidence Clinical Trials
Drug Name Trade Name Synonyms Drug Classes Drug Description
Gene Variant Impact Protein Effect Variant Description Associated with drug Resistance
Molecular Profile Indication/Tumor Type Response Type Therapy Name Approval Status Evidence Type Efficacy Evidence References
KIT L576P melanoma predicted - sensitive Bevacizumab + Sorafenib Case Reports/Case Series Actionable In a Phase I trial, a melanoma patient harboring KIT L576P demonstrated sensitivity to the combination treatment of Nexavar (sorafenib) and Avastin (bevacizumab), resulting in a partial response for 8 months (PMID: 25363205). 25363205